After installing a prestashop 1.7 site, you need to do some basic settings to make sure everything goes as expected when you set up your site.
Things you need to do after installing prestashop 1.7.
- Enable the “Friendly URL” option on the “SEO & URLs”. Why? Because if you don’t enable it, you may have troubles with pagination and Faceted search. To be more specific, if you don’t enable the “Friendly URL” option, you will get errors when you click on the Back button to back from a product page to a product listing page which was loaded by ajax.
- Generally all prestashop sites need to use https to keep your data safe, so enabled the “Enable SSL” option on the “General” as soon as possible. Because if you enable that option at the last step, you might find you’ve added a lot pictures, urls in http, so you have to spend a lot of time to find them out and correct them.
- Check to make sure these settings “Disable non PrestaShop modules” and “Disable all overrides” on the “Performance” page are disabled.
- Set “Template compilation” to “Force compilation” and Disable cache on the “Performance” page, to do so to keep you out from cache to make sure your changes take effect immediately.
- Increase the value of “Max size of short description” on the “Product Settings” page, it’s default value is 800 which is not enough for most cases.
- Go to the “Shop parameters > Stores > Contact” to set a properly name for your shop, because in some cases we just use a temporary shop name during the pretashop installation process.
I will keep updating this list, let me know if you know somethings else we should do after installing a prestashop site.