Each online store may require a coupon for customers. If you have set up your own online store with PrestaShop, you can easily follow the instructions below to make different discount codes.
- Login to your PrestaShop admin panel.
- Go to Price Rules > Cart rules menu.
- Click on "Add new rule" button.
- Fill In "Name" and "Code" fields on Information tab. Code field is your coupon code which you want to give it to your customers and Name field will be displayed in the cart summary, as well as on the invoice.
- Notice that if you leave Code field blank, the rule will automatically be applied to all customers.
- Click on "Save and stay".
- Navigate to Conditions tab. In this tab you can apply custom restrictions.
- Navigate to Actions tab. In this tab you can choose what the discount consists of.
- You can set this code to make delivery be free for customers.
- Or you can add custom percentage to be applied.
- Or you can add custom amount to be applied according to your currency.
- Finally click on "Save" button.
- Now you can give this code to your customer to use it in cart.
It's recommended to test the code before giving it to your customer to make sure that code is working correctly.
If this guide didn’t help you, please follow complete guide below.
Complete guide to create a Discount Code in PrestaShop
1. Navigate to Price Rules > Cart rules. In this page you can make as many as coupon that you want.
2. Click on Add new cart rule. Any time you want to create a coupon, you have to click on one of these buttons.
3. Filling Information tab. Most important fields in this form are "Name" and "Code" that you have to complete them according to the following tips:
- Name: This field will be displayed in the cart summary and on the invoice.
- Description: This field won't be displayed to the costumers and it's just a reminder for you in admin panel.
- Code: This is the code that customers should use it to apply discount to their carts. You can type your custom code or you can let PrestaShop create unique code by clicking on "Generate" button.
Notice that If you leave this field blank, the rule will automatically be applied to benefiting customers.
- Highlight: If the voucher is not yet in the cart, it will be displayed in the cart summary.
- Partial use: Only applicable if the voucher value is greater than the cart total. If you do not allow partial use, the voucher value will be lowered to the total order amount.
- Priority: Cart rules are applied by priority. A cart rule with a priority of "1" will be processed before a cart rule with a priority of "2".
- Status: To enable this coupon you have to set status to "Yes" and you can disable it whenever you feel is necessary.
4. Click on "Save and stay" to make sure that our changes is saved.
5. Navigate to Conditions tab. This form contains a large set of possibilities which help you to target who should be able to benefit from this rule.
- Limit to a single customer: This field is optional. If you leave it empty, PrestaShop will allow all customers to use it or you can type first 3 characters of customers' name to limit it to special user.
- Valid: The default period is one month but you can change it to custom period.
- Minimum amount: You can choose a minimum amount for the cart either with or without the taxes and shipping. For example if you set it to $100, it won't be applied to carts less than this amount.
- Total available: The cart rule will be applied to the first "X" customers only.
- Total available for each user: A customer will only be able to use the cart rule "X" time(s). Generally it must be less than or equal to total available.
- Restrictions: As you can see in above image, you're able to restrict cart rule to custom country, carrier, customer group or product.
You can read detailed information of this section at the end of this guide.
6. Navigate to Actions tab. In this tab you can define that how this rule is going to work. Free shipping, percentage discount, amount discount or sending a free gift.
- Free shipping: If you set this option to "Yes" your customer can use free delivery. Notice that if you didn't restrict this rule to custom carrier, all carriers will be free.
- Apply a discount: With this option you can apply a discount by percent (e.g. 10%) or you can apply an amount discount (e.g. $20). If you have selected free shipping, you can use none. You can read detailed information of this section at the end of this guide.
- Send a free gift: If you set this option to "Yes" there will be free gift in cart summary and your customer will expect a gift.
7.Click on "Save" button. Now your coupon is ready but it's recommended to test the code to make sure that code is working correctly.
8. Sending voucher code to customer. Now you have to send this code to your customer so it can be applied to cart summary.
Restrictions section in conditions tab ^
1. Country selection. By selecting this option, you will see a list of countries that are active in the store. You can select countries that you don't want to be applied and you can click on Delete to enter a country into the "Unselected countries" list. The customer country is identified based on the address on its account.
2. Carrier selection. Like Country restrictions, by selecting this option, you will see a list of carriers that are active in the store. You can select carriers that you don't want to be applied and you can click on Delete to enter a carrier into the "Unselected carriers" list. By default all carriers are selected and they are available for this rule.
3. Customer group selection. Like the two previous ones, you can define Selected and Unselected customer groups. Selected groups are those which this cart rule will be applied to them.
There are three customer groups In PrestaShop by default:
- Visitor: All persons without a customer account or customers that are not logged in.
- Guest: All persons who placed an order through Guest Checkout.
- Customer: All persons who created an account on this site.
If you want you can add more groups using Customers > Groups menu.
4. Product selection. This option has several different modes, which we will review them below.
First you need to click on the "Product selection" button to make the main options appear.
In this section, we can add the discount code using the list below with custom rules that all of them are AND, it means all of these conditions must be in place at the same time to make the discount code be applied. For example we want to apply discount for products that have all of these specifications: manufacturer A and product B and product C and attribute D. Let's see how that should be done.
4.1. The first field means that the cart must contain at least X product(s) to use the discount. For example if you set it to 10 and there are less than 10 in a cart, it won't be applied and it will show a warning to customer.
4.2. The second one is adding a rule.
- Choose one from the list.
- Click on add.
- Click on "Choose" at the end of the row that was created. A popup window will be opened.
- Select your custom options and click on add. If you couldn't see the add button, you have to scroll down.
- Close this popup window after selecting options.
- Click on "Save and stay".
You can add several rules and use different options in each rule.
Actions tab settings ^
1. Percent. By selecting this option, a Value field and four options will be displayed.
First of all, you should type discount percentage in the "Value" field. If you leave this field empty, the selection won't be saved correctly. The important thing is that this percentage discount doesn't apply to the carrier fee.
Then you have to select an option in "Apply a discount to" section
- Order (without shipping). The discount applies to the whole order.
- Specific product. You can choose to which product the discount should apply. After selecting this option, a field will be displayed that you can type first three letters to choose it from list.
- Cheapest product. Discount will be applied to cheapest product in cart.
- Selected product(s). To use this option, you have to add some products in conditions first.
2. Amount. By selecting this option, a field for typing price (with or without tax) and currency and two other options will be displayed.
First of all, you must enter the discount in the "Amount" field. Select the currency and specify whether the discount applies to the product tax included/excluded price.
Then you have to select an option in "Apply a discount to" section.
- Order (without shipping). Discount will be applied to whole order.
- Specific product. By selecting this option, a field will be displayed that you can type first three letters in it to choose specific product.
Example of adding a specific coupon in PrestaShop.
Now you are familiar to all options of adding a new voucher. Let's create a specific coupon with the following options:
- In a specific period
- all orders
- for all customers
- from a specific category
- have a free-shipping
- without entering any code
- and just free-shipping for one carrier.
To do this, you have to follow this instruction:
- In "Information" tab, add custom "Name" (e.g. Valentine free shipping) and leave "Code" field empty.
- In "Conditions" tab, leave "Customer" field empty, choose a period and select special carrier and category from "Restrictions" section.
- In "Actions" tab, change "Free shipping" to yes and save the form.
So if you want to create a coupon, first of all set conditions and restrictions and then set action. It's recommended to test the code before giving it to your customer to make sure that code is working correctly.
How to notify the customer to use coupon in PrestaShop
Maybe you were expected that PrestaShop notify the customer automatically, but it's not going to happen. All coupons are listed in "My account dashboard". So your customer has to login to his/her account to see all coupons.
By clicking on that link, list of all vouchers will be displayed.
If you have any question please ask it in comments. We will respond very soon.