There are different ways of applying discounts on products and carts in PrestaShop.
- creating a specific price for a single product from product edit page > Price tab > specific prices
- creating a voucher code to be applied on carts
- creating a specific price for a group of products at the same time
You can visit A complete guide to create voucher code in PrestaShop for the second way.
Specific prices for products
Sometimes you want to add a specific price for a product. Then it is easily done by editing that product > price tab and add a specific price.
But what if you want to apply a specific price to several hundred or thousand products? You can still do it one by one as mentioned above but it is extremely time consuming.
Catalog Price Rules in PrestaShop
Here, you can create a specific price any number of products with very detailed rules and conditions (the strongest feature of the Catalog Price Rules) at the same time by about 10 clicks or so.
Rules apply to
- Customer group
- The minimum quantity (if equals to 1, then it changes the price of the product. If more than 1, there will be a table in the product page to show the quantity based discounts.)
Conditions apply to:
It means if the customer visiting the store meets the "rules", then this Catalog Price Rule will be applied to all the products meeting the "conditions". To get a better idea, please continue reading.
How to access Catalog Price Rules in PrestaShop
To access this menu:
- in PrestaShop 1.6, navigate to "Price rules > Catalog Price Rules" and
- in PrestaShop 1.7 navigate to "Catalog > Discounts" and then go to "Catalog Price Rules" tab.
Adding a new rule
To add a new rule, click on add (+) button or "Add new catalog price rule".
To add a new rule, we have to fill in the following form. We are going to describe each field below.
- Name: Use a custom name - it won't be displayed on your shop.
- Currency: If you have multiple currencies, you can limit this rule with a specific currency.
- Country: You can limit this rule to a specific country.
- Group: In this field, you can choose a customer group. These groups can be edited in Customers > Groups.
- From quantity: You can specify that this discount is applied only if at least this product number is added to the shopping cart. For example, if you set this number to 5, the customer must add 5 specified products to the shopping cart to use the discount.
- Price (tax excl.): In this field, you can set a price for all products in the status group (on the second part of this page). If you want to fill in this field you have to un-check "Leave base price" option.
- From: Specify the start date of the discount by clicking on the calendar icon.
- To: Specify the end date of the discount by clicking on the calendar icon.
- Reduction type: In this field, you specify the type of reduction, in the amount or percentage. For example, you can choose the amount option and fill in the "Reduction" field with $10 (depending on the default currency of the store). So it will reduce $10 from the products prices.
- Reduction with or without taxes: The discount can either be tax included or tax excluded.
- Reduction. In this field, depending on the option you selected in the "Reduction type", you have to set a value to reduce this amount/percentage.
- Shop. If you already enabled Multi-Store mode, you can choose the shop that you want to apply this rule on it.
Adding Condition groups
Before clicking on the Save button, we'll need to determine the conditions for this rule. To do this, click the "Add a new condition group" button at the bottom of the page to open a form like the one below.
Now we can apply this specific price by category, manufacturer, supplier, attribute or feature on the products. You can combine all of these fields together.
For example, you can define that the specific price is applied to the "Shirt" and "Blues" categories that are manufactured by the "Sunnytoo" and their colors are "white" and "orange".
To do this, first select the Main field (for example, category) and then select the first category, then click the "Add condition" button next to each field. select all the values that you need inside this group.
- Since the operator between the conditions in one group is "AND", all the conditions should be true at the same time.
- You can add as many condition groups as you want for a single rule.
- Since the operator between the condition groups is "OR", they don't have to be true at the same time for the rule to be applied.
- To edit/delete previous groups, just click on its title (for example Condition group 1) to highlight and then change the value. To delete a group, you must delete all the values inside it to delete that group.
After adding the conditions, click the save button to save the changes.
Now go to the Front office and find a product that matches the conditions and you can see the specific price (or a table).
If you have any question please ask it in comments. We will respond very soon.