ImageMagick module for PrestaShop 1.6 and 1.7 with ajax image generator. This module is majorly used to generated sharp, clear and detailed product images. ImageMagick is a recommended by Google pagespeed insights, we can get higher score if you optimize your images with this module. Images generated by imagemagick have better quality than images generated by the PrestaShop’s native GD, you will be benefited in a long run by displaying quality good sharp images to your customers. Click on images to compare the same mage generated by imagemagick and GD.
Comparison Imagemagick and GD.
Major benefits of using this ImageMagick module.
- Optimize images to have sharp & clear & detailed images.
- Use AJAX thumbnail generator, no more 500 errors, you can generate images easily even if you have a large amount of products.
- Ability to crop images instead of filling in white borders.
Bonus 1 – Animated GIF
This module and the PrestaShop animated gif module supports resizing gif product images are the same module. The reason why using two product pages is that the module provides exactly two different features, which mean all the information on the other product page also works for this module.
Bonus 2 – Image compression
You may get a list of images under the “Efficiently encode images – Optimized images load faster and consume less cellular data.” section on Google PageSpeed Insights, because of that, your site can’t get a high sore, that’s where the “Image compression” feature comes to use, it can compress those images to help you get a higher score on Google PageSpeed Insights.
If you want to use nice images to present your products on your site, then use this module. Thumbnail images generated by Imagemagick have way more details than the ones generated by GD, details matter a lot, you eyes can see details, detailed nice images can give customers a good first impression. Here are several more real word comparisons for you to see that Imagemagic does handle details better than GD, GD images look somehow blurry while the ImageMagick images look more sharp and preserves details.
The above 3 images are in 140px*160px, original image of them is in 2008px*300px 698k. As you can see the very last one that the building’s surface is in a mess, the problem doesn’t always exist, for example it doesn’t exist on 250px in width thumbnail.
The left one is generated by GD, it’s 112kb. The right one is generated by ImageMagick, it’s 110kb. As you can see the left one is blurry.
The above images are generated by Imagemagick and PrestaShop’s GD, not creating by Photoshop. Download sample images to do tests, you will get the same result.imagemagick demo images (100 downloads)
Ajax thumbnail generator.
Using Ajax to generate a small amount thumbnails per time to avoid having 500 errors, this ajax thumbnail generator feature is super useful for sites having large amount of products.
- It’s perfect for sites with thousand products.
- Time-saving, you don’t need to waiting to start image generation process again and again when you get 500 errors.
- Generate a small amount thumbnails per time, your site can work fine when you generate thumbnails.
- Ability to generate thumbnails for new images only.
- Ability to generate thumbnails for specific image type only.
- You can stop generation at any time, all images will show out correctly, even when the “Erase” setting is enabled.
Check #9 on the documentation section to get more info about the native thumbnail generator.
- PrestaShop 1.6.
- PrestaShop 1.7.
- All themes for PrestaShop 1.6 and PrestaShop 1.7.
How to install and upgrade.
This ImageMagick module for PrestaShop can be installed easily without editing any files.
How to install? Use the “Upload a module” button on “BO > Modules” page to install the module.
How to upgrade? Use the “Upload a module” button on “BO > Modules” page to upload the new version to your site, it’s the same as how to install, don’t worry all your data will be safe, PrestaShop will just upload updated files to your site, it won’t reinstall this module.
How to get support.
If you have any questions with the module, post them out on the prestashop module support forum, we’ll help you out.
Imagemagick is a tool which you can use to generate high quality, small, sharp images/thumbnails, more info: https://www.imagemagick.org/
PHP use GD by default, GD is also great, it’s simple, it can run on all hosting environments. But images/thumbnails generated by GD are just good. Images/thumbnails generated by Imagemagick are excellent. For e-commerce sites, one of the most important things is displaying best quality product images/thumbnails for your customers. Panda theme Transformer theme have already stepped one step forward to display high quality images, which is displaying images in different sizes on different blocks to make sure images not getting resized. With this imagemagick module, your site will be two steps ahead , more info: How to display sharp images on your PrestaShop site
This ImageMagick module overrides the /classes/ImageManager.php. There is a small chance of having conflicts with 3rd party modules you’ve installed. Contact us if you have problems of installation, we will help you do a manually installation.
ImageMagick is installed by default on most popular hosting companies, you can download this file to do a test, upload the checker.php file in it to your site’s root folder, and then run the checker by opening http://yourdomain.com/checker.php in your browser.
Imagemagick checker (108 downloads)
The demo site is running on inmotion hosting, we submit a ticket to them to ask them to install the Imagemagick extension, they installed it in no time, so don’t hesitate to ask your hosting company for help, installing the Imagemagick extension and this module will bring you a lot benefits.
5. The ImageMagick extension is’t installed on my hosting, why can I do?
Yes, although it’s not necessary.
- For Linux, use the guides above on #5.
- For Windows, here is guide Install the Imagick for Windows, no need to do step #1 in that guide.
Yes, so it’s recommended to install the module as early as possible. For image you’ve uploaded, the module still can optimize images you’ve uploaded in some extend. The reason why old images can’t be perfectly optimized is that they are already “damaged” by the PrestaShop’s native image upload function when they were uploaded.
It’s recommended to use progressively JPEGs, the major difference between “progressively JPEGs” and “Normal JPEGs” is how they are loaded.
- “Normal JPEGs”: The browsers load them top-to-bottom.
- “progressively JPEGs” (RECOMMENDED): The browsers load progressively, you see a low quality version of the whole image. the quality gradually improves as more data get loaded.
This is for people who are not using this module, this module has AJAX image generator feature, so 500 error will never happen.
Don’t be panic, the reason why you get 500 error is not related to this module. You need to regenerate thumbnails after install this module, here are tips of how to regenerating thumbnails.
- ENABLE the “Erase previous images” option one the first time only, all thumbnails will be erased, the original images you uploaded are safe.
- If you get a 500 error, DISABLE the “Erase previous images” option, and then generate thumbnails again. Because if you have 500 images, for example thumbnails for the first 200 images have already been regenerated before the 500 error, so absolutely no need to erase thumbnails for the first 200, to start from beginning again. PrestaShop will check if thumbnails of a image are already generated, in this case, PrestaShop will start from 201. You can repeat this process till you get a success message, which means even if you have a lot of images, you can still get all thumbnails generated without using a 3rd party thumbnail generation module.
- If you have a lot of images, we recommended to generate thumbnails by different image types. For example, generate cart_default for products first, and then generate home_default for products. You still need to ENABLE the “Erase previous images” option one the first time for every image type.
- About how to generate thumbnails when you import products by using csv files, we have a tutorial for that How to import/edit products to your prestashop1.7 site by using csv files..
No need, thumbnails will be generated automatically by PrestaShop and this imagemagick module when you upload images to the product.
The default value is 1. The blur factor where larger than 1 is blurry, smaller than 1 is sharp. Generally keep it as the default value 1. You can set a value which is slightly smaller than 1, like 0.96 to make your images be sharp. You can also set it to 1.05 to have a little bit blurry images to reduce the size of your images.
Two possible solutions:
- Ajax image generator generates 5 images per time by default, try reducing the value to 3.
- Your account probably get logged out. You can check the “Stay logged in” checkbox when you login to back office to avoid being logged out.
Yes, this module’s ajax thumbnail generator feature is better, but if you like you can still use native thumbnail generation feature on the “BO>Images” page.
The Ajax generator generate thumbnails for 3 images per time, you can try to set the “How may images per time” to 20, set the “Max execution time” to about 240, that would save about half of the generating time.
SSIM is the best measurement of image quality, Google use it a lot on their official documents, more info SSIM.
Check this post Comparing Imagemagick module and WebP module for PrestaShop