ImageMagick module for PrestaShop 1.6 and 1.7 with ajax image generator. ImageMagick is a recommended by Google pagespeed insights, we can get higher score if you optimize your images with this module. Images generated by imagemagick have better quality than images generated by the PrestaShop’s native GD, you will be benefited in a long run by displaying quality good sharp images to your customers. Click on images to compare the same mage generated by imagemagick and GD.
Comparison Imagemagick and GD.
The above images are generated by Imagemagick and PrestaShop’s GD, not created by Photoshop. Download sample images to do tests, you will get the same result.imagemagick demo images (28 downloads)
Major benefits of using this ImageMagick module.
- To have sharp & clear images.
- Use AJAX thumbnail generator, no more 500 errors, you can generate images easily even if you have a large amount of products.
- Optimize images to get higher scores on Google pagespeed insights and other testing tools.
- Reduce the file size of all images without reducing quality or image dimensions.
Your site will get a higher score after using this module to optimize your images. Here are scores of the demo site.
76 Without using this module.
84 After using this module to optimize product images.
Ajax thumbnail generator.
Using Ajax to generate a small amount thumbnails per time to avoid having 500 errors, this ajax thumbnail generator feature is super useful for sites having large amount of products.
- It’s perfect for sites with thousand products.
- Time-saving, you don’t need to waiting to start image generation process again and again when you get 500 errors.
- Generate a small amount thumbnails per time, your site can work fine when you generate thumbnails.
- Ability to generate thumbnails for new images only.
- Ability to generate thumbnails for specific image type only.
- You can stop generation at any time, all images will show out correctly, even when the “Erase” setting is enabled.
Check #9 on the documentation section to get more info about the native thumbnail generator.
- PrestaShop 1.6.
- PrestaShop 1.7.
- All themes for PrestaShop 1.6 and PrestaShop 1.7.
How to install and upgrade.
This ImageMagick module for PrestaShop can be installed easily without editing any files.
How to install? Use the “Upload a module” button on “BO > Modules” page to install the module.
How to upgrade? Use the “Upload a module” button on “BO > Modules” page to upload the new version to your site, it’s the same as how to install, don’t worry all your data will be safe, PrestaShop will just upload updated files to your site, it won’t reinstall this module.
How to get support.
If you have any questions with the module, post them out on the prestashop module support forum, we’ll help you out.
Imagemagick is a tool which you can use to generate high quality, small, sharp images/thumbnails, more info: https://www.imagemagick.org/
PHP use GD by default, GD is also great, it’s simple, it can run on all hosting environments. But images/thumbnails generated by GD are just good. Images/thumbnails generated by Imagemagick are excellent. For e-commerce sites, one of the most important things is displaying best quality product images/thumbnails for your customers. Panda theme Transformer theme have already stepped one step forward to display high quality images, which is displaying images in different sizes on different blocks to make sure images not getting resized. With this imagemagick module, your site will be two steps ahead , more info: How to display sharp images on your PrestaShop site
This ImageMagick module overrides the /classes/ImageManager.php. There is a small chance of having conflicts with 3rd party modules you’ve installed. Contact us if you have problems of installation, we will help you do a manually installation.
ImageMagick is installed by default on most popular hosting companies, you can download this file to do a test, upload the checker.php file in it to your site’s root folder, and then run the checker by opening http://yourdomain.com/checker.php in your browser.
Imagemagick checker (35 downloads)
The demo site is running on inmotion hosting, we submit a ticket to them to ask them to install the Imagemagic extension, they installed it in no time, so don’t hesitate to ask your hosting company for help, installing the Imagemagic extension and this module will bring you a lot benefits.
5. The ImageMagick extension is’t installed on my hosting, why can I do?
Yes, although it’s not necessary.
- For Linux, use the guides above on #5.
- For Windows, here is guide Install the Imagick for Windows, no need to do step #1 in that guide.
It’s recommended to use progressively JPEGs, the major difference between “progressively JPEGs” and “Normal JPEGs” is how they are loaded.
- “Normal JPEGs”: The browsers load them top-to-bottom.
- “progressively JPEGs” (RECOMMENDED): The browsers load progressively, you see a low quality version of the whole image. the quality gradually improves as more data get loaded.
This imagemagick module for PrestaShop improves thumbnail quality, it doesn’t change the way of how PrestaShop regenerates thumbnails, so it’s the same as before, go to the “REGENERATE THUMBNAILS” section on the “BO>Images” page to generate thumbnails.
This is for people who are not using this module, this module has AJAX image generator feature, so 500 error will never happen.
Don’t be panic, the reason why you get 500 error is not related to this module. You need to regenerate thumbnails after install this module, here are tips of how to regenerating thumbnails.
- ENABLE the “Erase previous images” option one the first time only, all thumbnails will be erased, the original images you uploaded are safe.
- If you get a 500 error, DISABLE the “Erase previous images” option, and then generate thumbnails again. Because if you have 500 images, for example thumbnails for the first 200 images have already been regenerated before the 500 error, so absolutely no need to erase thumbnails for the first 200, to start from beginning again. PrestaShop will check if thumbnails of a image are already generated, in this case, PrestaShop will start from 201. You can repeat this process till you get a success message, which means even if you have a lot of images, you can still get all thumbnails generated without using a 3rd party thumbnail generation module.
- If you have a lot of images, we recommended to generate thumbnails by different image types. For example, generate cart_default for products first, and then generate home_default for products. You still need to ENABLE the “Erase previous images” option one the first time for every image type.
- About how to generate thumbnails when you import products by using csv files, we have a tutorial for that How to import/edit products to your prestashop1.7 site by using csv files..
No need, thumbnails are already generated by PrestaShop with this imagemagick when you upload images to the product.
The default value is 1. The blur factor where larger than 1 is blurry, smaller than 1 is sharp. Generally keep it as the default value 1. You can set a value which is slightly smaller than 1, like 0.96 to make your images be sharp. You can also set it to 1.05 to have a little bit blurry images to reduce the size of your images.
Two possible solutions:
- Ajax image generator generates 5 images per time by default, try reduceing the value to 3.
- Your account probably get logged out. You can check the “Stay logged in” checkbox when you login to back office to avoid being logged out.